Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring dimensions in clone/child files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gokulkrishna

Mechanical
May 30, 2013
HK
Hi,

Is there a way around to configure a certain parameter without calling it from the part family table.
For e.g. if I created 4 part files(child parts) from 1 master model and I have 5 parameters being controlled from the part family table. Is there a way to control a 6th parameter without calling it in the part family spreadsheet.
Currently we are working on Solid Works (in which we can use either design table or just rigth click the sketch --> configure feature --> change the parameter of two configurations) and are moving to NX8.5, so looking into how we can make the procedure similar

This prodedure is specially required since we do not preapre a model from scratch for different line sizes keeping the part family structure standard through out our product range.

Thanx!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will find that Family member parts, those created using Family Tables, can NOT be edited and then saved. They are created as 'Read-Only' at the NX level, meaning that there is NO way to unset this condition. You must make your changes in the Master template and then create a new child or Family member. Now there is nothing stopping you from doing a 'Save-As', giving it a new name and making your changes there, but the part file will no longer be recognized as having been created using a Part Family template.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John,

Consider that I have created a datum plane at "X" distance from the origin in the master model. Now I want the distance to "X" for 2 part files and ".5X" to the remaining two part files. How can I do achieve this without calling this "X" dimension in the part families table of the master model or saving as the two child files?

Thanks

In this case I would use Deformable Components rather than Family Parts.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi,

Please find the model. When we edit the sketch 2, the line 1 should be collinear with the edge marked in red(attached snap) and line 2 should be collinear with the edge marked in green.

Also if you enter the drafting enviornment of this particular model, I drew a arc and made it concentric with the circular edge of the cylinder. Now how to make these two curves coincident.

Thanx
Gokulkrishna Goli
NX8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back