Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Powerflex 40P

Status
Not open for further replies.

pssriram16

Electrical
Jul 20, 2006
US
My laptop is connected to Powerflex 40P via 1203-USB cable. I am trying to use DriveExplorer software to communicate to the VFD. Here is the problem:

According to the user manual for the 1203-USB cable, the RS-485 port on the VFD must be configured for 19.2K baud rate.

But the default value baud rate for the VFD is 9600 baud rate.

But I cannot change the VFD baud rate parameter from 9600 to 19.2K because there is no other way of changing parameters inside the drive unless I am first able to communicate to it thru the DriveExplorer software. So basically I am stuck in a ctach-22 situation.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful!!

Thanks
Sri

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can change this from the keypad. This is parameter C103. Once you make this change you will have to power cycle the drive for it to take effect.

EE

Hi eeprom,

The problem is that ther is NO key pad what so ever on this VFD drive. There is only one UP ARROW key available. This up arrow key is to read the BASIC PROGRAM parameters 0-9 READ ONLY. I cannot change any parameter from the VFD interface!!

That makes things difficult...

You know I ran into something similar this year with PF400s, using a 22 comm e card, and I had to buy a remote HMI just to set the IP addresses in the comm card. And that's $200. But I had three drives to configure, and it saved me a bunch of time. And I still have the HMI for future use.

I have an idea which will work, but it won't be easy. And it will take half a day at least.

Option 1:
Hook up a PLC to the drive using modbus. Configure the PLC to speak to the drive at 9600. Create a message file to the drive. Find the register which has the comm settings. Use the PLC to write the proper value to that register. You can find the modbus registers in the PF40 manual.

As soon as you write the file, the communications will fail. I would then change the comm settings in my PLC to 19.2k, reload the program, and then reconnect to the PLC, and use the PLC to read the drive register to make sure it is correct.

Option 2:
Buy a remote HMI and configure the comm settings on all drives with it.

I would call tech support before trying either option. They might have a means of writing to the register through hyperterminal. I'm sure that can be done; I just don't know how.

Good luck. Sorry I can't be of more help.

EE

What you have to realize is that the basic HIM that you have is INTENDED to be used by OEMs who send out a machine and DO NOT want the end user to be able to make adjustments to the drive program.

You have the USB adapter, which gives you the ability to program it with a PC, but I think you are over interpreting the communications instructions. The blurb about manually setting to 19.2kB is if you want to use it as a Modbus RTU Master and you had some other baud rate programmed in there already as part of the Modbus network. In other words if you walked up to a drive on a Modbus network and you want to use THAT drive as your master to talk to some other drive somewhere else on the network, you will fist have to have set that drive's comm rate to 19.2.

If all you need to do it to access the VFD programming, you plug it in to one drive and it automatically sets the comm rate to 19.2k, it tells you this on page 3-1 of the manual, bottom of the page where it first discusses setting it up fro programming.
1203 USB adapter manual said:
Important: The RS-485 serial port on DSI drives (PowerFlex 4-Class drives) does not need to be configured before using the converter. DSI communications are configured automatically (19.2K baud and 8-N-1).

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

@ pssriram16,

The baud rate which Drive Explorer prompts you for in the Configure Communication tab will actually be the baud rate of the 1203-USB device which is normally 115200. If you change this it should work.You shouldn't have to change the drive baud rate.

Thanks everyone for their inputs. Looks like the VFD was a bad one. I received a new Powerflex 40P this week and it worked right out of the box. Now I am able to use the 1203-USB cable and connect to the VFD and modify the parameters using the Drive Explorer software as well. I did not have to do anything with the baud rate. The cable can automatically adjust the baud rate and talk to the VFD. Thanks everyone for their inputs and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back