Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Configuring Solidworks to be more like Pro/E 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragoneye1589

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2011
CA
I've been learning Solidworks after coming from a Pro/E background and there are a couple of things that are driving me nuts about Solidworks.

Is there any way to set up Solidworks to treat a click of the middle mouse button as a confirm action?

Additionally, Pro/E automatically orients the view normal to the sketch plane when a new sketch is created. Is there a setting to change it to this behaviour?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"s there any way to set up Solidworks to treat a click of the middle mouse button as a confirm action?"
Most mouse button functions are controlled by the mouse software. Try Start > Control Panel > Mouse.

"Pro/E automatically orients the view normal to the sketch plane when a new sketch is created. Is there a setting to change it to this behaviour?"
No, but hitting Ctrl 8 after the sketch is opened will orient the view normal. If that is too awkward, re-assign a keyboard shortcut to a key of your choice.

I recommend that you get used to the SWx techniques rather than try to make it act like Pro/E. You will get nothing but frustration trying to make something act like something it is not.

@rollupswx

For the most part, that is what I've done. However, the two things that I mentioned are mainly annoyances that I have because they require additional keyboard shortcuts or mouse movements that break my workflow.

Dragoneye,

Its just a matter of what your used to. Your Pro-E workflow is like that, your SW workflow is going to have to change to conform to SW process. I understand the switch from one CAD software to anothercan be tough and because of your old workflow you might feel SW process is not efficent, but after make the switch and learn more about SW you will feel different about it.

There are alot of Ex Pro-E users here at the company I work for. Prior to me hire last year they were fighting SW and have been for years. Since then I have helped them make the switch over to SW and they are much happier than the were before. Its just a matter of training and keeping an open mind when making the switch. I know its hard, I have to fight through it every day myself learning new software day in day out.

Call your VAR if you have trouble, that is what they are there for or post here, most everyone out here has had to make this change from another CAD software.

Best of luck to you!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

For confirm action use the Enter key or you can use right button to confirm in most cases. A good way to get confirm cancel is to use a 5 button mouse and set button 4 and 5 to Esc and Enter which I do for SolidWorks.

Pro/E's Normal to view requires 2 inputs 1 for direction and another for orientation but SolidWorks defaults to Front Top and Right views.

Michael

Actually, since I posted this, I found a 5 button mouse at work. I just haven't gotten a chance to remap the two side buttons, I shall remember to do that tomorrow.

I'm happy with SolidWorks when you specifically choose normal to as your view. However, what is bugging me is that the view doesn't reorient automatically when I create a new sketch. The vast majority of the time I want to be normal to the sketch plane, yet I am forced to use another keyboard shortcut to accomplish this. It is just plain inefficient, and I was hoping that there was a solution.

Overall I've made the switch to Solidworks pretty well, I just can't get over the feeling that everything takes longer because I'm having to use extra keyboard shortcuts or move my mouse across the screen to click confirm. I just can't help but think that better software design would have fixed these problems. Pretty much my only other complaint about Solidworks apart from these issues is that the loft tool is terrible.

Look at using and Customizing the "S" shortcut. You won't have to move your mouse as much... also RMB is a great option because you can use teh "Recent Commands" amoung many other things, like sketch, dimension, line, etc...

Cheers,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back