Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confuse terms, Skin factor and Packer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGV

Mechanical
May 18, 2001
GB
I am mechanical engineer and I confuse with some terms as such : skin, packer. I would like to know exactly what are they for. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will try to help:

A packer is a downhole tool used to isolate the tubing from the casing. There are various types of packers- permanent ( which are milled up by tools like the metal munche ) and retrievable ones that can be run and out of the well. They are also set by wireline, mechanically , and hydraulically. Check out for pictures of packers.

Roughly Skin is a term used to describe the flowabilty interface of the well formation. The important thing is that the Service companies do not want to damage the skin and reduce the flow of the formation.

Is the tubing inside the packer?. I saw thw pictures of the packers but I am not clear how is the asembly between the tubing and packer.

The packer bore is a continuation of the tubing. Usually the tubing is connected to the packer with an oilfield thread ( very similar to NPT threads but there are special ones). Most packers have a female thread on top and a male thread on bottom- just like the tubing joints. Packers usually have an id that is compatable with tubing id.

Look at the AS1-X packer drawing at Team's web site . The top of the drawing is a top sub with female threads while the bottom of the drawing is the bottom sub with a male thread.

Hope this helps

Calculating Skin isn't that easy. I simple definition for skin is "fudge" factor to make well performance act like the theoretical model. Skin is either calculated from production analysis, build up analysis, or in reservoir simulation. It requires some type of well performance data (production and pressure data over time).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back