Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused about thermal units in FEMAP material database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark172

Aerospace
Aug 26, 2008
US
Hi All,

When I load materials from the built-in FEMAP database "mat_eng_in-lbf-psi-degF-BTU.esp" for a thermal analysis, the conductivity and specific heat values don't make sense to me. I must be missing conversion units somewhere but for the life of me can't figure it out. I am using lbf-in-s-F units.

Example from the database:
Aluminum 6061 Annealed Wrought
Expansion Coeff, a = 1.3E-5
Conductivity, k = .0024074
Specific Heat, Cp = 88.872

The CTE units are obvious, that's ppm/F which is consistent with my unit system. From the Nastran user's guide, the conductivity should be lbf/s-F, but when I convert for aluminum at ~200 W/m-k, I get 200 w/m-K * .1249 (lbf/s-F)/(W/m-k) = 24.98 lbf/s-F which is off by what looks like a factor of 10000.

Similarly for specific heat: according to the nastran user's guide the units should be in^2/s^2-F. Using wolfram and verified with other sources, 1 J/kg-K = 861.1 in2/s2-F. So for aluminum at ~900 J/kg-K the thermal conductivity should be 774,990 in2/s2-F, off by a huge factor.

The strange values in the FEMAP database make me doubt that I'm doing these conversions correctly, I can't imagine their database's units are inconsistent. Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thermal units in the US/Imperial system are a nightmare; in uni I would immediately convert everything to SI units before working problems. funny though that I reverted to US units for dimensions, force, stress once I got to the big aerospace OEM.

Yeah it seems to be a bit of a nightmare! Unfortunately I've built a FEM in US common so have to stick with it to see the last step of the analysis campaign (thermal stresses) through.

The conductivity checks out as BTU/in-sec-F. The specific heat only checks out as BTU/lb-F if I multiply by 386. I guess that makes sense if the "lb" needs to be converted to an actual mass unit.

It looks like WTMASS isn't applied to thermal conductivity. So I can leave the WTMASS parameter as .00259 and I won't have to go through and adjust all my material densities. Does that make sense?

Appreciate your help, SWC. Lesson learned, I'll use SI units for all models from now on if there's any chance of coupled analyses...

Yes, think so. Been a long time since I messed with thermal values in Nastran.

SpH should be BTU/lbm-F (so yes a conversion from lbf to lbm using gc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back