Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONN3D Element witt *CONNECTOR MOTION - How to stop when reach certain force limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabilishes

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2011
MY
Hi,

Is it possible to add a *CONNECTOR LOCK to a CONN3D Element (type Axial) to make it stop when it reaches certain forces limit?
The CONN3D element is applied with a *CONNECTOR MOTION. This element is connected to a solid indenter via MPC and used for indentation analysis.

I've tried the following but my when i check the connector forces CTF1 values, it goes beyond my set limit of 300N

*CONNECTOR SECTION, ELSET=P49002001;Load_Application_CONNECTOR, BEHAVIOR=M49002001;Load_Application_CONNECTOR
AXIAL,
*CONNECTOR BEHAVIOR, NAME=M49002001;Load_Application_CONNECTOR
*CONNECTOR LOCK, COMPONENT=1, LOCK=ALL
, , -300., 300.
*CONNECTOR ELASTICITY, COMPONENT=1, NONLINEAR
300., 0., 0.
300., 20., 0.
0., 100., 0.

in *STEP, the CONN3D element is applied with *CONNECTOR MOTION with 20mm displacement as below:
*CONNECTOR MOTION
CONNECTOR_ELSET, 1, 20

The current result shows the connector forces (CTF1) go beyond the limit of 300N until the motion 20mm is reached. Then the step ended.
I want the *CONNECTOR MOTION to stop when it reaches 300N.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try running this with double precision. Also, make sure that the nonlinear elastic behavior is correctly specified. And check output files for warnings.

I removed the non-linear elastic behaviour and the test came out the same.
I also ran several tests and got to a conclusion that Connector CONN3D Type AXIAL, when given or applied with *CONNECTOR MOTION, will not obey the force limit applied in the *CONNECTOR LOCK. The motion displacement gets the priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back