Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connect surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoFr

Bioengineer
May 22, 2006
FR
Hello,

I've got a problem with proe when I create a surface via splines (with the "Boundary Blend Tool"). In fact Proe adds lines on the new surface (the more the geometry is sophisticated, the more Proe adds lines) and that makes a problem when I try to mesh it in ANSYS since ANSYS imports it as many surfaces.

Does anyone know a way to obtain a single surface (in Proe or in Ansys)?

thanks in advance !
sheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No...

the same kind of lines appears when you create a surface by blending splines, each spline made of several segments...

Hugo,

The lines are probably caused as Pro/E tries to create the surface connection between complex curves. At every break in the curves, Pro/E will create a surface "line". You can control this by either ensuring that the curves have no breaks, or by using control points to control at which points the surface connects between the curves and therefore creates "lines".

If the curves were sketched in Pro/E and consist of lines and arcs etc. at each connection between a line and an arc, or arc and arc etc, Pro/E will create a surface "line" at this point. To stop this, edit the sketch definition of the curve, select all the sketched curves, and use Edit-Convert To-Spline. This turns the compound curve into one curve, and the surface which is created from it will not try to add "lines". You need to do this to each of the curves which define the boundary.

Alternatively, when you create the boundary surface, you can choose the option "Control Points", and map the breaks in one compound curve to the opposite compound curve, thersfore reducing the number of surface "lines".

I hope this helps.

John

Thank you!

I've added control points (and every curve consists of only one spline) but it's not sufficient and some surface "lines" remain :-(
I think my surface is desperately too irregular (it represents a teething) except if it was possible to increase the degree of complexity used by Proe to create surfaces [ponder] ...

thank you both for your help !

Hugo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back