Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting points of Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunblues

Structural
May 1, 2007
GB
Hello,

I'm hoping you can help. I have a building modelled with a movement joint running through it, so essentially it's two separate buildings. We're looking at ways to connecting the two to provide a shear connection to shore up one of the buildings when they move side-by-side. However it will still allow movements "away" from each other.

It is possible to model the building points along the connected face in such as manner as to account for these effects?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

I have not had much experience with this myself but I dare to suggest that would need to use some sort of "link" element at the points where the buildings are joined. Also I believe if you use a link system you need to carry out a non linear analysis. Maybe some one else would have a better/simpler way of achieving what you require or could elaborate on the above suggestion.

I fail to understand your question. You want to "shore" up the buildings while allowing to "move"? Could you elaborate your question ?
thanks

Gunblues

How about pounding each other? Did you consider that?

Is it for thermal expansion only?

Just see, if possible by external restraint at those points?

I understand that you are trying to use shear walls along this plane to resist the shear from both the buildings

Is it correct

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back