Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

connecting to existing steel with concrete fireproof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our company has used a similar note for your situation.
"Remove and replace fireproofing as required."
I'm not sure how contractors typically remove the fireproofing.

I second the "remove and replace" wording. How they do it is up to them....contractors are big on touting "means and methods" as their province so let them have that one. Plus, mercy upon your soul if the fireproofing contains some hazardous material and you specifically told them to chip away at it...

If you answer my questions below I will supply the repair wordings.

The "fireproofing" to be removed is cast-in-place concrete??

Or, is it light weight cementitious aggregate (LWCA)

Are there older documents/prints that clearly identify the concrete as "fireproofing" with Assemby Rating per specific UL design?

if you are intending to coat the new steel that is connected to it, perhaps require the contractor submit a cementious SFRM and require beam pockets to be full.

Personally, I do not like using "in kind" for fireproofing. I am not an expert in fire-resisting materials, but when you use the phrase "in kind" you have effectively said "the fire-resisting material which exists is sufficient to be matched by a new application." I don't often feel good about interjecting that opinion (when I am not sure what the material is), and would keep it more vague. I usually say something like "Restore all disturbed steel fire-resistive material per Building Code requirements; retain a qualified and competent Registered Design Professional to specify restoration when required by the Code."

Then again, if it is in your fee to perform the work, and you feel comfortable/familiar with the existing material, you may be able to specify restoration with IBC prescriptive language.

"It is imperative Cunth doesn't get his hands on those codes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back