Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connection designer and detailer program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

migs29

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2007
PH
Hi,

I,m using STAAD.PRO program in designing multi storey concrete and steel building. Base on experience STAAD is good in concrete design. But in steel design it is good in designing for limited situation. Like, it is good in designing steel members but the problems is that the joint connection is not included in the design. Like for example vertical steel member connected to horizontal steel member and I want the joint connection to be bolt or weld connection. What will happen is that after I design it in STAAD I get the output and design the joint connection manually, that's drive me lazy if the building have a hundreds of joint connection to be designed it takes days or months to finish the design. And now I'm searching good software able to solve my problem.... Any body can recommend the software I'm looking for??

Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RAM Connection Stand Alone
RAM Structural System w/ RAM Connection
RAM Advanse
StruCAD (have not used this one)
SDS/2 (have not used this / Cadillac/Lexus/Mercedes/BMW of detailing software)

I would suggest to continue to use STAAD and design the connections by hand. Rather than looking at every connection individually, and I am assuming that these are beam-to-beam and beam-to-column shear connections at least for the most part, develop standard connection details either for the particular project or also for future projects, and quit reinventing the wheel so to speak. I find quite often that connections in a steel-framed building can be simplified by designing a few connections and establish their maximum capacities and apply them where they "fit". The fabricator and erector may also thank you later for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back