Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Connection of Steel Brick Lintel (For Support of Brick Weight) to Cold Formed Metal Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

labrown

Structural
Dec 5, 2014
US
I am currently working on a CFMS submittal for a steel framed structure and have encountered a detail provided by the EOR which indicates that the light gauge studs spanning between high and low roof framing shall provide vertical support for the brick veneer along this wall. I have already sent an RFI to the EOR regarding this non standard detail and their response was that this detail has been used before. The centerline of brick is offset from the face of the 6" studs approximately 4 inches and the weight of the brick varies between 175 lbs to 408 lbs at the peak of the gable. I am looking for advice on the best way to model this section in order to determine the reactions at the screws (caused by this eccentric loading).

Any suggestions for solving this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7fffe1a6-b1a9-4033-91fa-5786106f1dfc&file=Brick_Support_Detail.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with BAretired. Ask the EOR if they can revise the detail. (But I suspect that the answer will be "no".) Also, it looks like a significant concentrated load will be bearing on the joist from all of this brick. I wonder if the EOR checked it?

Cliff234 - As it stands right now the screw connection will not work. Not for the tension reactions at the screws or the combined tension and shear check from AISI. I don't know whether the EOR checked the concentrated loads from the brick, but I was planning on noting this since that is also a significant point load bearing directly on the metal deck. Again, thank you all for your comments. You have given me a lot to think about.

I'll confess that I've been guilty of issuing similar details in the past. Wasn't too thrilled with it then; not too thrilled with it now. I have three additional concerns:

1) Metal deck crushing.
2) The connection between the studs and box beams feels like a hinge to me. Do the track to track screws create fixity at that joint?
3) How are details like this not an issue from a building envelope perspective? I would think that you'd have a thermal break extending from the angle leg clean through to the exterior side of the gypsum sheathing.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

@ingenuity:

Any Tek rated for structural steel of that thickness will be 24 TPI. Nothing in Buildex's catalog rates this screw for anything lighter than 12 ga material - so 12 ga min stud would have to be used (likely way overkill)
Also, they cannot be installed from inside the stud flange as the screw would have to be drilled at an angle and would walk all over the place (been there done that)

As BA and SteelPE stated, the best way to do it is to run the masonry down to the deck.

Dave,

I understand that it can be done successfully but the guys who work on your buildings must be better than mine. I would avoid welding to thin members when I can. I also avoid screwing very think members to very thin members. I have clients who think all steel can be welded the same way. They don't understand that a little more prep may be required to achieve a proper weld.

Kook,

A better detail would have a channel toed down to support the base of the stud wall and prevent the wall from crushing the deck. In fact, if the brick would run down to the deck, this is the detail I would use to support the brick. Either a 6" or 12" channel..... depending on if I think they can lay out the deck correctly.

SteelPE said:
A better detail would have a channel toed down to support the base of the stud wall and prevent the wall from crushing the deck. In fact, if the brick would run down to the deck, this is the detail I would use to support the brick. Either a 6" or 12" channel..... depending on if I think they can lay out the deck correctly.

KootK likey. I'm going to use my building envelope argument, true or not, to scare architects into using this detail in the future. Sometimes people need to be misinformed for their own good. Any fascist regime will confirm that.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

I would not support the brick on top of the deck; it would be better to break the deck and support the brick on a member spanning between joists and attached to the top chords. If the load comes between panel points of the joists, suitable reinforcement may be provided to carry the weight of brick.

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back