Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Connections between curtain or insulated metal panels and girts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccpe

Civil/Environmental
Apr 29, 2007
CA
I am working for a structural engineer firm as a technician for several years now. The engineers have changed the details of the connections between curtain or insulated metal panels and girts several times now. I am not sure if they really know what the details should look like. Can someone tell me if the following details (please click the link and open it) are correct? Thank you in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b12f3f48-c237-4b1c-87b5-49a19a221d70&file=Connection_details.docx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The metal panel connection is probably fine. I would have moved the tube to the panel and used a much thinner bent plate. But the tube could be being used for something else and can't be moved. I do want to know how that sag rod will get attached to the tube though.

The curtain wall unless the manufacture made the suggestion, I don't think will work. An angle off the inside of the curtain wall vertical and an angle off the outside of the tube with a bolt or two at the overlap would be easier install.

Dankile, thank you for your reply. The tube is a HSS (Hollow Structural Section) structural framing element. You are right that the position of HSS can not be moved because it was designed by architect to fulfill some functional requirements. It may be wrong for the sag rod to attach to the HSS.
Can you sketch to show the curtain wall connection? I am not sure I understand you correctly. Thank you again.

I was thinking that the curtain wall angle could screw or blind bolt. After looking at sections from Kawneer, your manufacture will likely want to through bolt.

curtain_wall_anchor_zu965d.jpg

Now your tube looks farther away than these, so you'll need to use a filler piece. That could be a short section of tube or other steel shape. You could use bent plates with a very long leg, just need to check that the plate can carry the compression load without buckling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back