Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

consideration centre mass and centre rigidity for tall building without exposure to earthquakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazvon

Civil/Environmental
Jun 15, 2014
MY
hi

for building, high rise which is not expose to earthquakes/seismic condition and only wind load is taken into consideration..

do we still need to check whether the centre mass and centre rigidity coincide?

i am not be able to find a code regarding this..

because as far as i know.. no need to check if no seismic condition as long as the building pass the storey drift and sway check

please correct me if i am wrong..

many thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wind load design/checks don't care where center of mass and center of rigidity are.

also - there technically are no buildings where seismic is not an effect. Whether it controls various aspects of design is another matter.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

thank you for replying

you mean that

if the building is design based on standard building code...the building already can sustain seismic?

is it what you actually implying?

so even though the building is not purposely design to sustain seismic loading, the code has already include the safety factor for this.

did you have any idea on where can i refer to this more further.

I don't think that's the case. Otherwise, there would be no need for "seismic design" as a separate sub-discipline.

There are specific seismic provisions in building codes that are specifically for seismic design:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

you mean that if the building is design based on standard building code...the building already can sustain seismic?

No - I mean that in most current building codes seismic design is always a consideration. You have to design for BOTH wind and seismic
throughout the building.

In some cases, wind load effects will be higher than the seismic load effects. You still need to check the seismic to verify this and compare them.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back