Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Considering leaving structural engineering behind as a career. 3

NorwegianEngineer

Structural
Sep 18, 2024
NO
Hello everyone,

I've worked in construction my entire life. 12 years as a carpenter before I graduated as a civil engineer and landed a job as a structural engineer which I've had for 7 years now. I work in a firm which mostly designs high rise buildings and my focus is on detailing the project (concrete design => 3D modeling => drawings to the manufacturer and construction site) with a focus on precast concrete.

I'm reaching a point where considering both my age and experience it's time to decide if I should really pursue this further and become an expert or if I should move on to something else.

What I dislike:

- Very competitive industry. It was okay until around 2022, but for the last few years it's been extremely competitive with everyone underbidding everyone else to get a project. In practice, this means that the projects are usually not earning money and we don't really have the time we need or want to do things properly. I get my salary regardless, but it's not a pleasant feeling when you know the project went red and the firm actually lost money on it. And your leader is always bugging you if you're finished soon and even implying you've spent way too much time on a design. When in truth it actually does take time.

The fact that it's so competitive means pressure on two fronts. Recently, there's been a lot of pressure from our customer to create optimized constructions (reduce material costs). So, we're pressured both on time to make it profitable for us and at the same time the customer is pressing us to make more optimized designs such that they can save money.

- Deadlines. The last few years have been OKAY, but I've had years working 500 + hours of overtime.

The deadlines and competitiveness also means there's not much time for learning new stuff on company time. I would literally need to spend my own free hours if I were to learn more about subjects I find interesting.

- Monotone work. The start of a project is usually fairly fun, but after the inital work is done it's often a repeat of the same theme across 100s or 1000s of element.

- Not as creative as I had hoped. I realize that other parts of the industry can be more creative, but detailing concrete blocks is fairly limited.

What I like? Well, overall I do like constructions and find the work interesting and have nice colleagues, but I feel the negatives mostly outweigh the positives currently.

I have friends who've been on projects where money isn't even an issue. Typically in the oil and gas sector or public projects. On the other hand, there's still deadlines, but it must be a good feeling to know you have an "unlimited" budget.

Would be great to hear from other structural engineers and how you feel about this career path. Maybe there's some positive and encouraging stories out there, too! :)

Best regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As an engineer with wooden construction expertise, you have a unique edge in the growing light weight/ wooden housing industry.
Combining structural and wooden construction which can help you start your own company apart from above listed pressure.

1-Innovate with Timber

Use new timber technologies like cross-laminated timber (CLT) and laminated veneer lumber (LVL).
These materials offer strength and versatility, perfect for modern light-weight housing construction.

2-Hybrid Construction

Integrate wood with steel, concrete, and glass for flexible and cost-effective designs (employing skilled Architect.)
This hybrid approach blends aesthetics with strength.

3- Collaboration

Work with architects and Mechanical designers to meet both structural, aesthetic cost-effective solution that Market needs.
Explore emerging markets to widen your reach and build a diverse client base.

By leveraging your expertise, innovative materials, and sustainable practices, you can create a successful company in the lumber/wood industry.
and GOOD LUCK ...

Have you considered working for an owner, sales, contractor, fabricator, etc. but still as structural engineer? Consulting can definitely be a grind. Maybe it would be refreshing to try structural from a different slice of the pie.

Having carpentry (construction) experience is a huge advantage as a structural engineer, or at least it is for me where most of my work is with wood. I would entertain starting you own company and not leaving the profession. I won't say it's easy, but you can eliminate a lot of the problems you mention working for yourself.

All great suggestions so far. Thank you! :)

A fitting analogy may be relationships. If you get into a bad relationship it doesn't mean every other woman is terrible and you should become a monk. Maybe I've just been in the wrong part of the industry so far.

To be clear, my experience so far as a consultant have been pretty good and it's not like it's all negative. But for the past few years I've had a lot of negative feelings creep up and I'm wondering if it's time for a change as the future in this job/role does not seem like much will ever change.

1. Working with wood

This is a great suggestion. I suppose it's a bit odd that I once was a very competent carpenter and haven't done a single project in wood as an engineer. I simply got a very good offer when I graduated starting out with a firm that specializes in high rise buildings and have been there ever since.

Recently, I actually interviewed with a firm who specializes on CLT and larger projects in wood here in Norway, but ultimately I declined because it seemed very similar to what I already do - except the components in my BIM software says it's a wooden element and not concrete. Meaning big projects, deadlines and the same kind of concerns I outlined in my original post. The job also had more responsibilities without a higher salary.

What kind of work do you do with wood, @Eng16080?

2. Starting my own company

In a way, that's the ultimate dream. Maybe I could simply be an independent consultant at some point. I will however honestly say that at this point I don't feel qualified enough to do so. I was proficient enough as a carpenter to do this, but as an engineer, I still feel there's too many holes in my knowledge bank to start something on my own at this point. Part of the reason for this is that I (we) work so specialized that I'm fairly good at a very small sub-set of structural design.

3. Working outside consulting

As suggested by @RattlinBog. Definitely something I should consider, too.

Thank you all.

PS: Would also be fun if you and other guys shared your actual thoughts/feelings about your career. Are you all loving it or have you had similar concerns like myself?

What kind of work do you do with wood, @Eng16080?
Mostly residential, as in single family homes. Some multi-family and some medium to large commercial. Most construction (here in the US) is with wood. Of course, having carpentry/construction experience is a benefit for all material types not just wood, because you start to think more about how you would actually construct something while you're designing it.

Would also be fun if you and other guys shared your actual thoughts/feelings about your career. Are you all loving it or have you had similar concerns like myself?
Working as an employee, I definitely had similar concerns. Working for myself, I'd say I'm generally loving it. I don't know if my situation is normal or not, but so far it's less stress and greater pay. I am working quite a bit though.

Back