Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

considering soil structure interact

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIYAZJAMAL

Structural
Sep 4, 2012
considering soil structure interaction , i have analysed a nuclear reactor building with raft foundation without soil and with soil... how the displacement time history will be in 2 cases...?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NIYA, it would help if you better described how you modeled this. As johnbridge asks, did you use springs based on subgrade modulus of soil? What supports/restraints did you use "without soil"? Obviously soil has some flexibility which can change load distribution and displacements.

In addition, if you're analyzing a raft foundation, it may be necessary to model soil springs as nonlinear compression-only in order to properly account for load distribution.

thanks to all.... i am confused with this.... Actually i have modelled a nuclear reactor building resting on the raft foundation (with fixed boundary condition and soil is not considered) and the nuclear reactor building resting on raft (with soil considered). For the second case i have applied transmitting boundary condition. I didn't use springs for representing the soil. Soil is represented as solid elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back