Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Constant Inflow to Pond Node 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkie

Civil/Environmental
Jan 4, 2012
US
I am trying to model the spread of water overflow from a tank that occurs over a period of time.

The scenario I have is this....this tank overflowed for approximately 16 hours, at an estimated rate of 1.65 cfs.

I'm trying to estimate the probable extents of this overflow on the surrounding land area. I'm going to setup the land area as a "pond" but I am not too sure how to go about setting up the inflow, as I just need this to be a constant flow, flowing into the "pond."

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you think there is a way to route this to an area node?

I just received topographic survey, and while the overall land area that receives the overflow is super flat (.002-1) on average, there is no real area that I can call defined storage as I had originally assumed.

You can model overland flow using a reach with a wide flat or vee bottom, as discussed at
But this is done primarily to model overland routing effects (peak attenuation, etc), and assumes a well-defined flow cross-section. I'm not sure this will help you to determine the "spread of water" or "probable extents of this overflow" across the "surrounding land area"? This sounds more like alluvial flow, which is beyond the scope of HydroCAD.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

If you can't call an area "defined storage," then you're bordering dangerously on 2d flow territory, which is a very different bag of peanuts.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

We got into the weeds, turned on all the spot grades in the survey, and contoured this with 0.10-foot contours. There are depressions on the site, which was exactly what I needed to complete the model. The WSE generated by the model falls almost directly where we visually observed the spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back