Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Constrain Profile to Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT330

Computer
Oct 28, 2009
US
Inventor 2010 part file attached. Sketch1 is a profile intended to sweep along the path of Sketch2. Sketch2 is sized as the outermost edge of the sweep so I want to locate the profile corner at the bottom midpoint of the path. I cannot get coincident point constraint to work nor can I project the geometry of the path to try other constraint types. How do I constrain the profile to the bottom midpoint?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First thing. Remember, this is a History based modeler. So if you need to reference Sketch 2 in Sketch 1, it must exist before Sketch 1. From what I inferred from your post this is what you wanted and from what I saw in the file you already had your rectangular profile constrained about the origin.

I simply reordered the sketches by dragging Sketch 2 before Sketch 1 in the browser. I was able to do this because there was no reference of Sketch 1 in Sketch 2. Had I projected anything from Sketch 1 then I would not be able to do this.

Overall though, great start as a new user constraining to the origin!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8f2689c5-80c0-43c4-a94a-664c728cd844&file=Help_with_Constraints-mf.ipt
Thank you for your response and compliments.

I reordered the sketches as you advise but still struggling with constraining the profile like I want. Can you recommend a strategy for constraining the endpoint in Sketch1 to the midpoint in Sketch2? I have not been able to make coincident point work and I have not figured out yet another way to solve it. Seems like I have yet to discover the intuition.

You have to use Project Geometry on the line. It just so happens your top portion of the rectangle cuts through Sketch 1 right at its midpoint.

So, reorder the sketch, use project geometry on the line you want to constrain it to. That will put a single dot on the plane for you to constrain to.

OK. That worked. I'll need to practice more... Thank you. But, more questions.

Now, as I sweep the profile, it leaves the corners cut out save a wall thickness - the new version is attached. I've tried multiple ways to draw this and one was using extrusions to make the return flange with the cut-away operation. I didn't like it because of this issue and resolved it as a bad approach. Now I find again I don't recognize settings to prevent it.

Thanks again. Trying to make the paradigm shift before my trial ends. Appreciate the attention.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b0ff6be0-2b75-4cad-bbfe-052b6efcfe79&file=Help_with_Constraints.ipt
Don't use the Lower Corner of the part on the sweep try a midpoint of the left edge of Sketch 1 instead of the lower left corner. Sometimes you need to adjust the sweep depending on how it moves along your path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back