Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

constraining to an edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianMansinni

Mechanical
May 10, 2004
IL
Hi,
I have some questions concerning constrainingto edges:

1.How can I create a midpoint constrain (e.g. between a sketch line endpoint and an existing edge)? Must I project the edge first, then convert it to a construction geom and then constraining it?

2. Is there a way to automatically create constraints while creating the sketch geometry (midpoint, concentric, coincident, etc). for example, I would like to sketch a circle that is concentric to an existing circular edge.

3. Is there an "equal radius/diameter" constraint (when I require two arcs to be of the same radius)? Couldn't find it.

4. A general question: Must I exit the sketch before using a sketch-based feature (pad, pocket, etc)? Can't I save this click of exiting the sketch?

I'm a newbie with Catia (V5R12), but have years of experience in SolidWorks and CV.

Thx,
Catia.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

#3=
create arc, add R15 constraint
create arc, add R15 constraint
rmb on const to modify / radius.2 object / edit formula
=a table, click on constriant to "copy" from and result will be R15 f(x). When you modify the R15 constraint, the R15 f(x) will follow.

Laura

Thx Laura.
I know that I can set an equal value to both dimensions, but can't I avoid it? Isn't there a geometric constraint "equal radius" when selecting arcs/circles without having to dimension them first (or at least constraining only one of the two)?

Do you have an idea of #1, #2 and #4?

2. You have a circle you want concentrice with an existing circle. Select the circle you created in sketcher, select the constraing icon, select the circle (edge or line) that you want to be concentric to. Now right mouse button click and select concentric from the contextual menu. This is also how you can select how to do midpoint, tangency, coincident, etc.

Good Luck!

Thx.
I understand that there is no "shortcut" and quicker method to do it "on-the-fly" as I create the geometry, only as a 2nd operation after the geometry is sketched. Quite disappointing I must say...

Catia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back