Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constraints and origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konstruktor

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2004
EE
Hi!
I have been SW user, but now "forced" to learn Inventor... There are many things that are different, some are good, some are not. One thing, what I have found strange is that you can constraint sketch at the origin only when you first create it. After you have closed it and opened again - you cannot constraint new elements to origin!? Sometimes even during first "session" it stops working at one point and I can't add consraint between origin and sketch. I have noticed, that here is no indicator also later at origin. So is all that normal in IV, or I'm doing something wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to project the origin point into your sketch. expand the origin folder in your model tree, select the project geometry function and select the origin point. It will appear as a dark point. Yes, you need to do this for every sketch and yes it sucks. You get used to it.

Because i came from SW and things always started out constrained somewhere this too was a point of frustration. But just like every other program open up a new part set up the enviroment the way that works best, project the appropriate planes to create a vert and horz construction line. Then save as a template in the template directory that you have mapped in the files location. Now when you start a new part it is already there and away you can go. Do the same for assembly and dwgs and you should be golden.

Try to be consitent with your constraints, this will only make assmeblies easier.

Somewhere buried in the options or tools, is a tab for sketching, and on that tab is a radio button to set the origin as always being projected onto new sketches. At least, it is for IV 11.

There is a add-on that Neil Mungro did that automatically projects the center on every new sketch (R9 and above).

There are tons of other GREAT time-saving add-ons on Seans site too

As well as
And
Some of these addins will actually save you so much time you can take Friday off! ....please feel free to contribute a voluntary donation to keep these guys "encouraged" to keep writing these huge timesavers.

My favorites:
Kwiksert, face-change, kwik-file new, kwik-print, and BOM extractor

Thank you, everybody! I'm sure there will be soon other "fundamental" questions... :) Like this - in SW I can see dimensions just by clicking at some feature or model, but not in IV (seems to me). Trick to change it?!:)

try right-clicking feature in the browser bar and select 'show dimensions'

Unigraphics NX4,NX3,NX2,R17
Inventor 10,9,8,7
Solid Edge 10,9,8
Solid Works 2000,98
Mechanical Desktop 4,3
Autocad 2004DX,2000,R14, R12
Teamcenter 9

Yes, veerap, that's, what I was looking for...!! And you can also change dimensions and update model after double clicking... that feels already almost SW... :) Tnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back