Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Constraints

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmadilloTwister

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2008
CA
I am trying to get a wheel to run along a surface with many different contours in it. Is there any suggestions on how this is accomplished.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming this is a contour derived from a spline curve, you should be able to apply a tangency constraint between the wheel and the surface, and have the wheel follow the surface. Dunno about a very complex spline, I've only ever done this with "simple" splines that aren't very far off from ellipses.

If the contour is composed of many seperate geometric entitites, you may need to look at each entity seperately, i.e. you could only constrain the wheel to be tangent to one entity's surface at a time.

Good luck.

Along with what btrueblood said, you could create a spline surface on the contour that you want to follow. This would give you the smooth entity you need and you could then make it invisible when you are done constraining.

David

I think translational constraints might be what you want to look at but it has been a while so I can't explain it to you. Perhaps someone else can.

David

If you have Inventor Professional with Dynamic Simulation there are more options. Otherwise Transistional constraint. Zip and attach what you have so far if you can't figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back