Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Construction a five stories building on Saturated Sand Soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGeoUSA

Geotechnical
Jan 5, 2019
LB
Dear Experts

Please advise if it is a must to construct five stories building on a Raft-on-piles foundation due to threat of the liquefaction knowing that the soil nature is saturated SAND and located nearby the sea?

Can we construct the same structure without piles?
Any reference project, please?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't have piles, then you need a robust ground improvement program and a mat-foundation.
I'm making some assumptions now, but I'm pretty sure the building owner (Turkey, 1999) of the image below saved some money on liquefaction mitigation.
4_story_adapazari_liq_tilt_ambjqo.jpg

you have seen one example from ATSE above of a liquefaction failure below is an image of another potential consequence. The building on left has piles and the ground settled 40 cm, the building on the right settled an additional 30 cm into the ground.

image_ggli2j.png

Is it a "must?" only if you don't want the building to fall down or settle in the event of liquefaction.

As a "geotechnical" guy I'm amazed you're asking the question. This is rather basic stuff really.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The tilted building looks like it was overdesigned...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

We build on saturated sands routinely. If you don't have seismic considerations, liquefaction is not a big issue.
Whether you use piles, a raft (mat), or shallow foundations depends on loading and deeper subsurface conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back