Construction in the Gulf region (GCC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

5hant

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2008
GR
Dear all,

I would like to see past (10 years) and future (10 years) trends in construction. More than reports and commentary, I'd like to see some figures. For example, they say that there's USD 1 Trillion worth of projects now in the gulf region. Well, how much was there in 2000? How much will there be in 2020? I'd like to see some graphs, or figures (from which maybe I could make graphs).

Can anyone recommend anything that I might be able to see online?

Thank you as always and best regards,
Shant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting question. If I may ask, what's this project about?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

It's an internal strategic direction project.

They want some figures from me (etc). My boss likes to give these very high level generic tasks. I want "bla bla bla bla...", followed by a "take care of it...".

He's quite polite, but still... makes me earn my money. And I turn to you guys! :)

The Gulf of Mexico is very well documented for number of drilling rigs and wells established. The surrounding states have good data bases for construction excepting the South American coast countries. If you are referring to a different gulf then shame on your precision of language.

I didn't know what gulf or GCC he was talking about either (still don't). But it is usually the Yanks who think everyone can interpret, so one point in imprecision for the rest of the world.

Forgive me if I am overly parochial.

I'm familiar with a load of TLA's (three-letter acronyms) down here along the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) and "GCC" isn't one that popped up on my screen.

I will easily admit I don't know everything about the "Gulf" (GOM gulf, that is), but I'm betting that it's another "Gulf", likely the one over there in the Arabian peninsular area...

I'm sure that one of our more internationally oriented friends will enlighten us.

old field guy

Oh, alright, no sarcasm

Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)
A council created in 1981 and composed of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates. It is a forum to coordinate and integrate economic policies between these six countries, which account for about 40% of oil in the international market.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Which probably means it is concerned with what goes on in and around three gulfs: Persian, Oman, and maybe Aden.

Poor OP, a dozen answers, none helping. Guess he will have to do his own research.

Its the Gulf that has lent its name to two recent wars! Usually termed Persian or Arabian (depending where you are located)

To get this information, I would suggest that a good start would be googling on the English language newspapers for each of the countries listed by Greg L and going through their archives.

FWIW, I doubt that there will be a construction boom any time soon in Saudi Arabia. You have likely missed the construction booms currently underway in Dubai and Qatar.

Despite diversification attempts, a good deal of future construction projects will be oil/gas/petrochem based, either new or upgrades. Predicting anything up to 5 years ahead in that region is difficult and 10 years is likely impossible.

Quote:
but still... makes me earn my money. And I turn to you guys! Since I am doing some of your work for you, can I expect you to contribute my share of your earnings to a charity of your choice?

Shant,
Further to TPL's comment,

Just back from the GCC myself (Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha) from doing some training for consultants. You would definitely appear to have missed the boom. Everyone in UAE (Dubai and Sharjar especially but also the rest like Abu Dhabi are slowing appraciably) is really worried and Qatar is in the same boat. Reports from other areas are similar.

hi folks

I been in GCC6 yrs now..i can say the biggest boom which was in dubai is almost dead! as dubai is in debt for banks and banks r screwed in the rescission so they going ahead in dubai with project which the have to do like dubai metro, burj dubai mostly the project with >40 %under construction..other wise all work on hold and every day more ppl losing there job in all sectors...

abu dhabi ( which capital of UAE) is much better as most of the projects there belong to the ruler and they got a lot of money from oil form price rocket last year!..howerer no project there as in dubai..they but on hold uncommercial project like unis museums.... but it is safe at least fror couple of years i guess

bahrain and saudi are almost like abu dhabi condition..they still have money from the oil but i'm sure they will think very will before build anything new specially with falling in oil price and unwelcome rescission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back