Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Construction Joint design

Status
Not open for further replies.

BengalEngineer

Structural
Oct 30, 2008
US
I am designing a construction joint on a base slab. I have found a detail that resembles the picture attached. I see the vertical bars will be taking part of the shear. The question is are the horizontal bar groups accounting for shear friction?

Can i completely rely on the vertical bars for shear or are these horizontal groups needed?

I will be finding the shear using the strip method. Do I distribute this shear load across the whole shear plane or do I apply this shear load per foot across the shear plane? I would think applying this load per foot across the shear plane would be overly conservative. But at the same time i do not know the exact location of this shear.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

But OzEng80, we have no indication from the poster that the joint is actually a movement joint. He merely said it was a construction joint. Kslee assumed it was a movement joint, but I doubt it.

Hokie:

I could only say the real/anticipated lateral movement (due to moderate temp. variation) is very minor compared to vertical movement. It may not be the best locking device, but been proven in many projects (heavy civil works) I have delt with. Safe to say, the key is only one part of a whole huge system, it needs many other features to make it works as intended. Without knowing the whole, I was only introducing the basic features of the key I felt it was the best match with the description and sketch he has provided -a combined shear key and expension joint for mass concrete structures. From his questions, I sense he is in the screening stage, the final decision will be made by a person your-like. agreed?

OzEng80:

No need to apology, you were expressing your view point. Also, I would agree with you on corbel if it is for isolted heavy concentrated load. Or it could be used for line load as in the case of a concrete ledge/seating. Maybe that's what you meant. Most importantly, we need to know more on the whole system that the OP is working on, otherwise, everything we provided are merely loose details, not the end closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back