Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Construction Methods and Estimating Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydefan

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2004
US
I am a Civil PE with about 7 years experience. Recently, some clients have wanted my company to estimate how long a job will take to construct and even what equipment will be used. I have absolutely no experience in construction methods, but want to learn. Are there any books on this subject that I can read, so I don't seem like a complete idiot when talking with contractors are my clients.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

R.S.Means is the best source of information on this.

They have both on line CD based and paper books.

They break different tasks down to crew size and equipment and price out the costs of each task. They also add location factors for most US and Canadian cities.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

you need to get out to some construction sites and get some first hand experience - inspection of grading, trenching, installing pipe, paving, concrete structures, structural steel, fencing etc. Then you will be able to discuss it intelligently with a contractor. Means is a good method for estimating, but won't substitute for the practical knowledge you need in construction.

Books like Means are a poor substitute for experience; however in this case there doesn’t appear to be enough time to get the experience the old fashioned way.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

While experiance is the best teacher and books like Means, Dodge-McGraw Hill and a few others can help, I would suggest a short course on construction cost estimating. A two, three day or week long course would jump start you on your way. Means sponsors some, the AGC and some university extensions have courses.

Using cost books, without some prior experiance, can be very troublesome. You have to know and understand the basic assumptions the cost books make for their unit costs. Many new estimators forget about the mobilization and demobilization costs, the jobsite office costs etc. You might find that the book tells you you can pour footing concrete for $145/cy, but what about hand grading, forming, stripping and hand compaction, besides the jobsite office and supervision.

Get some training!

Job type, size, location and are conditions are all factors that you need to consider. I suggest setting up a nice spreadsheet that you can modify and change things as you learn about the process and construction items. Have it reviewed by somebody who has adequate experience. Keep in mind that if you are renting an equipment for 3 days or more, you may get a better rate with a weekly rental or monthly and so forth. You need to know the steps and the construction details before using the R.S. Means for prices. Check their web site, I believe they have text books on estimating. Also, contact suppliers to get qoutes for specialty items.

I would suggest u probably should get help from a construction inspector or a foreman. They will give u the producion rate which u can use to estimate. Or, get a part-timer estimator.

You didn't clarify what the project was, roadway, site or building? I assume your firm has the project at a state where major work items or quantities have been, or could be identified? As previously mentioned, RS Means or even your DOT should have standard productivity rates by which you can project a ballpark timeline from this break down. Isn't this all standard bid package stuff? How else do can you determine the reasonable number of working days / calendar days to assign to a project? This is a bid job right?

I agree experience is a vital, but I prefer to defend myself using published industry standard productivity rates if something ever goes to court.

Richardson is another good source.

To me there are 3 components to a cost estimate: labor, permanent project materials and equipment.

For the later, the equipment used on a project can vary from contractor to contractor. And the cost of equipment is somewhat dependent upon if it is rented or owned.

I have always perfered to estimate the labor in manhours which is a constant. Then multiply the manhours by the local labor rates and add the indirect costs for which Richardson has an excellent breakdown.

I am an estimator and the local engineers around here will call and ask for budget prices for the work,call a contractor and he will gladly give you any help in pricing things out or alternatives cost savings etc.make sure he is on the bidding list when the job comes to tender .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back