Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constuction of simple mist elimination unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramarc

Chemical
Jan 7, 2005
FR
Hi,
We have a problem with salted water/organic solvent in a inert gas stream. The mist most be eliminated prior to the compressor. We've a gas flow rate of max 230 liters/minute and to start of simple we would like to pass it though a vertical pipe (inside diameter of 80mm) containing a demister. THE clean gas will leave the unit in the top. THe vertical pipe containing the demister will have a welded semi sphere bottom (with drain exit) end and a flat bolted flange in the top. Total height of the pipe is around 700 mm
HTe pressurized gas stream has a density of approx 120 kg/m3.
Do you have any good suggestions how the mist elimination could be improved with simple means in such design described above?

Best regards
A

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for you quick rely and good example!

I my case we can do much about the diameter in this step. It turns out (using the Brown-S eq.) that i have a gas velocity 2-3 times greater the the maximum velocity in the B-S eq. WIll a demister be of any use in this case?
DOesn anybody have experience with making the demister longer or using 2 demister pads to make the droplets large enough to fall ?

Best regards

A

If the system suggested by mbechok isn't applicable you may want to look at a Brink's eliminator for your application.
We have used several of these eliminators in recycle services. We mainly separated organics from various gas streams, Nitrogen, Hydrogen, and Air. We had several that required periodic washing as in the ammonium nitrate example in the paper.

The first address is the product's main page and the second is a short paper on the operation of a Brink's system.

Look up a Fick separator. It is basically a helical plate through the pipe. It has very low pressure drop and your high velocity actually helps mist elimination.

I've successfully used them on liquid ring vac pump discharges.

ash9144, thanks for your tips, but I can't really find much using the search word you suggested. Is there another common name for this type of separator?

/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back