Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consulting Engineer 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

FEM4Structures

Structural
Jan 1, 2014
US
How would one approach a small engineering consulting business if he don't want to invest too much. Strategies for attracting business?

Thanks,

FEM4Structures

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh, well yeah that's kinda silly. Plus, I didn't think you could build something without a permit, which requires review by a PE working for the local government office. Whenever I've produced plans for residential or commercial structures, there's me... then the guy checking my work, then his guy who reviews it and stamps it. Then it gets submitted to the building office. Then it gets rejected because the reviewer doesn't like the line weights and can't read a variable in a calculation. Then it goes through all of that again, to be submitted to a different guy who thinks a 9 is a 3 because the heavier line weights smudged a bit.

Anyway.

Experience: accumulated knowledge over time.

Talent: the ability to use experience.

Which is more valuable?

Here, there are a lot of residential projects that go thru under the IRC guidelines. The unlicensed residential designer selects beams, and no engineer ever sees it, except for at plans check.

Sometimes the plans checker thinks the beam should be engineered, according to his judgment.

This is all dangerous, because projects I have been called in to provide shear wall design only, almost always have at least one grossly under-sized beam or header.

This process of "Open Source" engineering treats engineering as a commodity and not the profession it is and should be. To ascribe to such lowers the status of engineering, reduces the pay of legitimate engineers trying to uphold the ethics and stature of the profession, and can result in a danger to the public. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not a fan. I would like to find a way to stop it, but that probably won't happen.

Ranks right up there with internet medical practice.

Ron,
I agree, but the irony to me is the existence of the IRC. It is just as dangerous - I have frequently seen beams overstressed by a factor of 2, but of course they don't fall down because our roof loads are construction = 20psf and not likely to occur, and wood has FoS about 3.5 - 4.

OK I finally actually looked at WikiHouse - it is basically building a small module with CNC-cut plywood ribs. That would never even come close to being permitted here in the US anywhere the IRC or IBC governs. It appears WikiHouse is UK-based.

In the future they would have to get Code approval, but I don't see that happening in the near future because our wind and seismic loads are probably a lot higher than in the UK.

Well, I disagree Ron. Simply put, engineers aren't the only ones capable of developing good ideas. I don't believe a person needs 35 years of experience in engineering before their ideas can be considered feasible, if only a bit conceptual at inception.

What Open Source does is provides a larger pool from which to draw ideas, and collaboration. As an engineer, you have a wonderful opportunity to get involved with that collaboration in a constructive way, ie lending expertise to help good ideas grow.

As a consultant engineer, and really to the OP, you can easily get involved with Open Source projects. This will help facilitate collaboration with skilled and knowledgeable professionals, and done "correctly" it can actually help PROMOTE the profession. It can PROMOTE the prestige the profession deserves.

I used WikiHouse as an example, there are many others. I'm aware of the code issues, etc. but the point is bigger than that... we have an opportunity to engage ourselves a bit more directly with the community. We have nothing to lose by getting involved, gaining exposure, and providing a valuable resource such that ideas can grow / develop safely, efficiently, etc.

As far as reducing the pay... I don't think Open Source has anything to do with that. I would assert it has something to do with the supply of young engineers entering the depressed workforce which has been decimated by outsourcing and financial speculators, along with companies trying to protect their margins by paying less for more output. The money isn't there anymore, universally, so people are looking to do whatever they can. This can also explain the surge of DIY and Open Source resources which seem to have popped up in recent years. That's a completely different topic. So rather than loathe, chastise, or begrudge the young talent, this could be a great opportunity to mentor and encourage that talent... you know, to protect the prestige the practice deserves.

Which is more valuable?

I forgot to mention, Open Source does not imply charity work. You can charge for your time and materials / resources you use to facilitate the project. Creative Commons just says, basically, that it is a collaborative endeavor and a patent / IP claim can't be made by any one person. It grants everyone the opportunity to engage, modify, and improve the content / product so long as credit is given where it is due and it's not being used for exclusive financial gain.

So... you offer to work 80 hours on a project to produce XYZ product, and it takes ABC overhead on your equipment to facilitate that. You can charge billable hours for your time, and whatever your overhead is... and as long as you're not selling the product directly to whomever, you're fine.

Anyway. I understand it's a scary concept compared to the traditional "black box" development system. It took me a while to understand it and the implications.

Which is more valuable?

Ron,

My point of view came from my memory about an engineer who was disciplined by the board for charging for a service that was never provided. I'm sure there was more to the story than just that.... and it has been a little while since I read the complaint/case but there was sufficient evidence to discipline the engineer. I also don't like to be "in debt" to someone.... and if I receive payment before the project is complete and they come up with some extra they will always say "well I pay you early so can't you just do this one little thing".

Just the way I feel and how I conduct business at this point (which may or may not change in the future).

SteelPE: That's why we add exclusions to the proposal list with a blanket statement on top with hourly rates. I am a sucker for doing little changes without charging for them. But not so much for large changes that we specifically say many different ways up front, large changes we will charge for. And if someone really wants some options we show optional items with prices. If we did work without getting upfront retainers we would have a really long list of people owing us money. Its hard enough collecting the money after the retainer. And I consider that last 10% we charge a wash.

Not sure how open source works but I wouldn't mind contracting out to people to do basic design work and let us handle it the rest of the way. We are slowly coming to a need for that as we can't handle everything and my time is starting to become more valuable picking up work and going to meetings. Since we are in the mode of running the business for as cheap as possible, we now hit that breaking point of what to do next to keep expanding but to keep our costs down.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

brandonbw,

That's funny, because if I don't get paid I don't sign off on the structure. I have used my leverage before with success (at least until this point). I haven't been in business that long and my client list is pretty small. I have only been s*****d on one project where the client never paid and never called me back. It was someone who I used to work with who I knew had money problems from way back. I trusted him to pay but he never did, won't even return my calls now. Some day he will need me again and I will never forget.

It seems like a lot of projects we don't have to sign off on the grading certification. Some cities are even approving unsigned plans. That one baffles me.

We have changed when we start work and what people get based on a couple of really bad clients this past year.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

i am also considering to start my own business soon but you dont need too much capital to start a consulting business especially if at first you will work from your home. i mean just some office supplies, printer, some software (which will be the most expensive component i believe), and insurance (2nd expensive). so overall a $5000 would do it, but of course this is assuming that you have other place of income and start as a side job. if you totally abandon your existing job and start a new consulting business full time then as some mentioned you must have at least 6 months worth of money to cover you for everything possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back