Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Consulting with a PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedarbluffranch

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2008
US
I'll be sitting for the PE exam (practices and principles) this October in Mechanical. Part of me wonders why I am spending $400 and hours of time to get an engineering license not required in my field (I'm a Boeing engineer). I have a lot of personal reasons for wanting to have the license, but I'd also like to figure out how to make a little bit of money from it to pay for the cost of the exam, license, stamps, etc.

What are some consulting opportunities out there that I can do in the evenings and weekends? One relatively easy option I've considered is home/commerical building inspection (I know a lot in this area). I've also posted some ads for AutOCAD drafting (not engineering) services, but this is a little competitive to get work.

Are any of you doing consulting work or have you used for PE Stamp for any kind of extra work?

Of course, the easiest way to make more money is to work overtime, and there is plenty of opportunity for that right now. I guess I'd like to get some value from the PE, too, though.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally, home inspection doesn't require a PE. In some locations, home inspectors may be licensed, though.

The ideal field to do anything in is the same one you do at work, in which you are presumably an expert.

There are moonlighting laws in connection with most state's licensing requirements, so you may be required to notify your employer prior to doing any outside work.

Regarding home inspection, in some states the PE allows you to get a license right away, circumventing the usual internship, which can run $2,000 for the training courses and another $10,000 to intern with a licensed home inspector. From what I'm reading, there is still some work out there, but many home inspectors who were inspecting full-time are leaving the field because of the mortgage situation. Perhaps its a good time to learn the field, on a part-time basis as you suggest.

There are a couple of companies that offer inpsection franchises to PEs.

even though the state may allow you to get a license in home inspection, the ME degree and PE does not give you the knowledge or experience to do it. You should have experience in residential construction, grading, drainage, roofing, sheathing, waterproofing, basic wiring and carpentry, HVAC, structural concrete and masonry, foundations and plumbing etc. in order to provide a useful service to your clients. If you were to come to me and say - "I'm a Boeing engineer, but I think I could do a good job inspecting the house you are about to buy" - I would say thanks but no thanks.

CVG, it goes without saying that I can only stamp/seal documents if my engineering judgements are sound, whether that is for an airplane or air conditioning system in a house. While my work experience doesn't qualify me to inspect homes, I have extensive personal experience with home construction that gives me a basic competence in this area. It'd be unethical for me to accept a job where I didn't have skills in it.

Home inspections are alot of liability for a little bit of fee... You incur much liability when you "stamp stuff" and you will either need to go bare or purchase E&O insurance. The premiums will require much moonlighting work to justify their expense.

I would be shocked if a large employer like Boeing would not reimburse you for your out of pocket expenses to get a license. It would be worth asking for a token raise if you pass the exam too.

Unfortunately, Boeing doesn't reimburse for the license expenses. They are a good employer in the sense that the only things they pay for are benefits available to everyone, and since not everyone can be a PE, they don't offer it to anyone (except for people who stamp in their Boeing-related work, like facilities people).

The liability is an eventual concern, but not a problem right now since I can't find any work to do anyway. I'll deal with liability once I have a customer (or at least a single potential customer) lined up.

cedarbluffranch;
What suggestions are you looking for? Consulting work part time is easier said then done. First off, you should clear any part time consulting work with your boss at Boeing because any use of company equipment/time related to your part time gig (paper, pencils, office phone, lap top, etc) could place you in harms way. Even little things like insurance provided by your employer could be jeopardized if you visit a client and get hurt.

Once you have paved the way for part time consulting work, off hours and weekends, become incorporated, get insurance first because most clients will require it if they want to cut a PO with you.

I looked into consulting some time ago and decided I would do it when I retire. Right now, I enjoy my evenings and weekends.

A lot depends on your strengths and experience. What do you do at Boeing? If you design parts, then maybe you would want to do that on the side. I think the main thing, though, is to network outside of the plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back