Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact between two surfaces 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog2k5

Structural
May 4, 2007
US
I have model where a bolt is bounded on both the nut and head by fixed supports. the bolt starts in the middle of a hole in a steel rectagular plate. I have defined the two surfaces (bolt shank and inside of the hole on the plate) with no separation after contact.) I establish initial BC in the intitial step. In step 1 I displace the plate the distance of the plate hole radius minus the bolt diameter to establish contact. In step 2 I put a force on the end of the plate. Is this the right way to establish contact?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dog2k5,

It appears you are trying to establish contact between the bolt shank and the hole id. Usually this is not required, unless you have a special fit between the bolt and the hole. Normally you need a contact below the head and a tie/bonded contact in the area of bolt threads.

Gurmeet

The plates must be in shear presumably for the hole id to make contact with the bolt shank. I'd have just added an extra little bit of displacement to establish contact forces in the first step before removing that and applying the true load in the second step.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back