Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact definition between rigid parts and/or deformable parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterCeles

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2012
US
Hi I am running my model which based on on deformable body assembled with a rigid part and both can slide on another rigid part. However I am getting a job error : THE SLAVE SURFACE ASSEMBLY_PICKEDSURF74 CANNOT CONSIST OF EITHER DISCRETE RIGID ELEMENTS OR ANALYTICAL RIGID SURFACE.

can anyone help me understand what this error mean?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What software are you using?
My best guess would be that you have over constrained your model. But not know what software or analysis type, it makes it difficult to guess.

Marilyn

I am not very familiar with ABAQUS but I would change the element type of the problematic geometry for starters.It looks here like ABAQUS is unhappy that the assembly is 'RIGID'See what options you have with the rigidity and switch things around.see what happens.

i think the problem is that a rigid surface cannot be a slave ... written that way it sounds obvious ... a slave follows the master, if the slave is rigid, then the master cannot move (and the master gets pi$$ed and ... the rest is history).

swap the master/slave definition

As rb1957 has suggested, master surfaces must be stiffer than the slave surface. So, if one of the surfaces is rigid, it must be chosen as the master surface. By the way, there are a couple of more notes in regards to master-slave configuration (pertaining to mesh/geometry size and material) in the ABAQUS Analysis User's Manual.

Agree with rb1957 and IceBreakerSours.

Follow these general guidelines for Slave/Master and you should be fine:
1. Coarser (mesh)-stiffer should be master.
2. Rigid must be master.

Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back