Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONTACT IN F.E.A

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJS

Automotive
Dec 27, 2005
ES
Hello:
I work in a calculation departament in a tech center. We use diferent finite elements codes. In the last months im interesting in use Msc Marc capabilities to simulate diferents experiments. But i found a lot of complications using large contacts models. I´ve tried diferent methods for the contact management. (Lagrange mult, penalty methods,), and diferents solvers and elements configurations. But the convergence is not easy to achieve in very large problems.

Does anyone knows which are the best elections for the contacts problems in marc?: (lineality option for contact, implicit vs explicit, lagrangian aproach, penalty or lagrangian method, choose of the penalty factor, best kind of element and best solver) i have to simulate transient and statics experience.

I know that using codes like pamcrash, Radioss, is easier, but is exact enought? should Marc results expect to be better?.

PD: If any one knows were i can read about this, please tell me.

Thanks.
Happy new 2006.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I remember getting a summary of MARC's contact functionalities and some "how to do its" from the UK help desk about 3 years ago. Not sure if its been updated and I don't have it to hand to see if it answers all your points but it was an excellent primer.

Hope this helps.

Could your problems be considered linear static with contact or they impact type problems?

If they could be considered linear static with contact, you might want to contact Algor. I have been working with both the linear contact and their MES and the results are conparable.

Happy new 2006 to you also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back