Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonor

Bioengineer
Jun 1, 2020
PT
Hey there!

I have two structures which meshes overlap, in abaqus.
I don't want them to overlap, so I was told to establish a contact pair between them in order to properly adjust the meshes and they articulate with each other without overlapping.

I ran a simulation and in the initial step I applied a boundary condition to fix the bigger structure, in step 1 I applied a displacement in the smaller one, to put one away from the other, and on step 2 I established the contact pair and imposed a displacement in the smaller structure (symmetrical to the previous one, so the structure could get back to the original position, but this time without overlapping).

But Abaqus does not allow me to do this last displacement and if I don't do it, how do I put the smaller structure back into the correct position?

Thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. If the overlap is small and unintended, then you can use the 'adjust' option in the contact pair to let Abaqus auto-correct the node positions to remove the overclosure.

2. To your question: Just apply a displacement (-5 e.g.) to a region and change that displacement to zero in the second step to move that region back to it's original position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back