Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

contact problem in abaqus/Explicit while doing machining simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkachary24

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2012
IN
Dear all,

Hope all are doing well. I have just just started Abaqus and trying to do simple machining simulation. I have modeled the work piece, tool, defined the boundary condition, meshing also have done (but donot know how it is accurate). now am stuck in defining contact properties between tool and workpiece. If I use general contact (Explicit), internal surface of the workpiece do not come in contact with tool surface. I tried to use surface to surface contact (Explicit).. chip does not contact with itself (workpiece). I also have tried with adding Self Contact(Explicit) to the model but after running few time the work piece break like a concrete block. I am not able to short out what is the problem behind this. Any help and suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanking you..in advance

regards
------------
Borad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi barkachary24!

General contact is the right way to go. All you have to do is define INTERNAL SURFACE in workpiece. See my latest post, where I described how to do it. I am not modeling machining, but crash test, where projectile is penetrating the target. But I guess there is the same trick to simulate both problems.

LINK

Also you must include damage and damage evolution to your material properties...

Dear trickstersson(Nuclear)

Thank you very much for your reply and sharing your ideas with me. hope this will work for me too.
one more doubt... if we edit the .inp file, the geometry become orphan mesh. so, if we want to change the element type, can we change by going to mesh-> element type.??

Thanks once again

Hi!

You don't have to import .inp file back to Abaqus/CAE to submit it.

Just do everything as you normally do in Abaqus/CAE (Don't care about orphan mesh because in this step you don't have any orphan mesh. Choose elements you need.) -> THAN create .inp file and edit it.

You can submit edited .inp file in Abaqus Command (This is how I would do, anyway I submitted the job in linux environment...). The line to submit the job in Abaqus Command is next:
abaqus job=name_of_input_file

After that results can be seen with opening the .odb file in Abaqus Viewer.

I hope I correctly understand your concerns... Feel free to ask again, if there is anything you don't understand.

Dear trickstersson(Nuclear)

Thank you so much for your clear-cut explanation. I am going through what you have explained to me. If any problem comes, I will contact you later.

Thanks once again..

regards..
barkachary24 (Mechanical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back