Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONTACT PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterBeePL

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2007
PL
Hi all,
I am working on a contact problem on a something reminding a wire rope (1 core with 1 wire, 5 strands with 1 wire).I am using contact wizard to create contact pairs. Every wires have been meshed with solid 92 (i am making 5 pairs of Target170 and Conta174 using contact wizard -surface to surface). The first end of this wire rope is fixed and the second has displacement along its axis.(Geometry is imported from IGES files). When i am trying to solve it, after few iterations, in first substep i receive a following message:

*** WARNING *** CP = 697.623 TIME= 11:18:03
Contact element 33454 (real ID 4) status changes abruptly from contact (with target element 30732) -> no-contact.

The effect is that each strand penetrates thru the core.
Someone can tell me why does it happen?

In *.err file i found a following message:

*** WARNING *** SUPPRESSED MESSAGE CP = 14.401 TIME= 11:23:04
Some entities requested in the *VGET were undefined.

(there were few of them)
I noticed that they appeared after switching on Contact Manager, before using contact wizard and picking contact pairs.
PSEASE HELP, I'm novice in ANSYS.

I also want to add that when i am trying to solve the same problem in the same way with 1 core and 1 strand and it works.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear

How many substep do you take?
Looks like something in your model is not well connected.
Do you get any results? And can you plot them?

Regards
Garry

Hi,

As I figure it out, you only apply boundary condition (fixed end) and displacement load to the center wire. And which type of contact do you apply? (bonded, frictionless, ...) The error, I suppose might be possibly due to boundary conditions or to the type on contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back