Contact protection protocol for the plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJthien

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2020
HU
Hi,
We are reviewing documents of our new project, which say "Contact protection protocol for the plant is required".
I am not sure what it exactly is as this is the first time I see the requirement for electrical work.
Can someone help explain me what "Contact protection protocol for the plant" is?
Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Might it mean that "specific procedures are to be in place to ensure compliance with observing the limits of approach to energized electrical equipment"?

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

@ crshears,
Do you mean levels of authorization for operating electric equipment?
I imply that and I think it could be.
Thanks a lot.

Hello LJ,

It may, or it may not; have you consulted those who provided the spec to have them tell you in their own words what they intended?

I found this definition: "Controlling Authority - the person(s) who occupies a position responsible for the control of specific equipment and devices."

If this is work within an existing facility, I would normally expect the customer's operators / Operations Department would administer Work Protection / Lock-out - Tag out procedures and processes.

If this is a new build, I would normally expect the accountability for the provision of this protection to fall on the contractor.

This type of work was my accountability for many years.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back