Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact Resistance/Conductance Tables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prsww3

Aerospace
Mar 26, 2013
US

I'm creating a satellite thermal model and have run into a little problem. It's become necessary to enter some thermal resistance/conductance values into the model but I can't seem to find agreement on how to get these values.

I've heard conflicting opinions on whether to calculate this data or find it in a reference book. However, after scanning through the CRC Materials Handbook, a table of these values is nowhere to be found.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Should I calculate or look up this data? If I need to look it up can you give me a reference?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The above cited link appears to be corrupted: works

Seems to be lots of hits on websearch:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I recently had similar difficulties in calculating thermal contact resistance values, it's a tricky problem and it seems like the most reliable way of determining values is from testing, especially when interstitial materials are used between two (or more) surfaces. However there is some useful info on the subject to be found in the ECSS Thermal Design handbook, doc number ECSS-E-HB-31-01-Part 4A is what you're looking for, a .doc of it can be downloaded through this google link to the ECSS website (the actual URL seems to not work when copied but this one should work):
Section 5 is particularly useful in the document, on pages 44 and 47 there are correlations which can be used to determine values and there's plenty of plots with experimental results in the document to use also.

This answer may be too late to help you with your problem prsww3 but might prove useful to other people trying to calculate thermal contact conductance values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back