Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact Sets between surfaces of two separeted parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesVerne77

Aerospace
Apr 6, 2003
CH
can anyone help me..
i have some problems to define a contact set between the two surfaces of two separate modeled parts.. when I try to add a surface to a region/contact set, I can only choose surfaces of one part.. (surfaces of the other part are not highlighted)

what can I do to define the contact set, when I can only add the surfaces of one part??? I would be glad, if anyone could help me... thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jules, its always a good idea to form groups of surfaces that you think might come into contact before you create the FEM from assembly. Can you see all the elements of the assembly FEM? are you able to see the load set or restraint set pertaining to that particular part FEM when you make them current? If not, then I'd put this assembly FEM away, bring up the problem part's FEMonto the workbench, try to form groups of surfaces, and then try to update the asmbly FEM again, and if that does not work, then there must be something wrong with the asmbly FEM, try to export it as a universal file, both the part and FEM of the asmbly, and re import it, and see if you can select that surface. If that doesnt work either, then I'd reimport that problem part, and create the FEM again and update the asmbly as well as the asmbly FEM. Hope that helps. Sunny.

Jules,
I think I know what your problem is. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I think you meshed two seperate parts that were not "joined". This means you have two parts and two fems, but they are seperate from eachother. If I'm going to do a contact problem using surface definition, I always "join" the two parts together in Master Modeler and then generate one fem rather than two parts and two fems. That way all surfaces will be available for contact definition. If you don't join them I'm not sure how they would know about eachother. Let me know if you need more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back