Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabur88

Structural
Aug 25, 2011
MY
Hi, I've asked this question several times to no avail and I still have to get a working model.

Basically I wish to model a steel beam to column connection that is under torsion. In the picture provided the flanges at the beam are to simulate torsion and the beam is connected to and endplate which is fixed at the edges to simulate it being welded. The box at the end is to simulate a column.

I am doing this because I wish to simulate how the endplate will warp outwards and not into the column. The box is fixed at all ends except for the front where the beams endplate is connected.

The material simulated is steel and the step is the default setting.

I'll post the images of the interaction menu.

When I'm running the job it takes over an hour an the following message appears in the error menu
(Too many attempts made for this increment

Abaqus/Standard Analysis exited with an error - Please see the message file for possible error messages if the file exists.)

In the warning menu it states that the displacement increment is too big.

I know this may be asking a lot but I would really appreciate the help. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi

trie to use damping factor (step Manger---> Damping factor--->0.00001) ??with low values.

if not , see the deformation in your model and trying to change the BC

bye

Hi, I tried to do what you told me, however this message came up instead when I was trying to run the job.

"Interaction property contact surface specifies a contact damping type of step type, which is not available in Abaqus/Standard analysis.

The input file was not generated, and the job was not submitted for analysis"

Does this mean that I don't have the proper version of Abaqus?

Hi,

Try to change first increment size to 0.01, also important matter is what amount of pressure do you apply? Is this reasonable value or you simply apply "something large enough"?

like TomaszK said try with reduced increment size...second please make sure that you r using the right analysis...u said that u r using the default settings...try changing that...this error usually comes bcoz of wrong analysis chosen..

Thanks for the help.

I now know how to model this properly (I tried a different model which was just a solid square block and thicker endplate), however I learned from another site that my meshing isn't fine enough as I would need three cubes in thickness in the beam in order to properly analysis the bending. This is due to the beam which isn't thick enough for the meshing.

I tried doing that however my computer can't handle it due to insufficient RAM.

However thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. However any other tips for the meshing or anything else would help me a lot. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back