Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Container Yard Pavements

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahklh

Geotechnical
Apr 3, 2002
US
I have gotten involved in the design of a container unloading facility and I am looking for some references on pavements. The pavements will need to support lift trucks capable of reaching over one rail line and picking a 20-ton container.

I am assuming we will go with a slab-on-grade design but I would also like to see if a flexible pavement section would hold up to the loading conditions. I am working with the manufacturer of a potential equipment supplier to develop loading conditions, however, I am still looking for some references on designing the pavement section.

Any leads on references would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ACI document SCM-28 (95) is their handbook on concrete site paving. It has information on design and detailing concrete pavement for parking lots, loading bays, and other places that are not roadways.

For asphalt, you can probably use standard roadway design criteria, using loading and repetitions to come up with required structural strength.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I recently saw an article on a container yard at a port facility. It was in a precast concrete paver trade publication. Sorry, I don't remember the journal's exact title.

They used a thickish HMA pavement, covered with a layer of sand, with precast pavers on top. Supposedly, the advantage is when the pavers get worn or cracked, you only have to replace that section and there are no cold joints or patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back