Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONTAMINATION CODES

Status
Not open for further replies.

noseyparker

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2003
CA
Hi to all. I am trying to get data on Hydraulic Fluid Contamination codes to make some sence of the Analysis, and indeed as a tool for Predictive Maintenance. Initial searches revealed ISO 4406. I would like to relate the readings with possible present a long term problems.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The other two codes in common use are NAS 1638, an obsolescent code although still in use in some industries, and SAE 4059D.

The first step is to identify those components in the system that are sensitive to particulate contamination, the manufacturer of those components should be able to tell you operating limits for cleanliness and also the failure mode of the component if fluid cleanliness is not maintained.

You might want to elaborate on what you mean by “the Analysis”.

Regards

Hi,
Making sense of fluid contamination monitoring can be a real can of worms. I am aware of two guy's that have been involved in this for several years who would most likely be able to answer your questions, as they do this for a living. I can only give you a phone number and and their names:- 01842756257 and ask for Neil or Shaun.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back