Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Content of an Engine Build manual ?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyder88

Automotive
Sep 7, 2012
IN
What is the purpose of engine build manual? Whether it is used in engine assembly section or ll be provided to vehicle owner?
What will be its main content?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The manual to which I think you refer includes instructions about what goes together in what order, what lubricants are used, what torques are applied to the fasteners and in what order, what clearances and dimensions should be measured in contemplation of re-using parts and for checking that you actually have the proper new part, and what you call all the pieces so you know what to ask for when you trash something and have to replace it.

It is of little value to the typical owner unless he wants to DIY an overhaul.

It is of inestimable value to the owner of an exotic car or other vehicle that is not locally supported, so that he can lend it to a mechanic he trusts and have some hope of getting back a usable vehicle in a reasonable time frame.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

So, these kind of manuals dont have any use in engine assembly section ,right? then what is 'term' used to refer which is used by the people in engine assembly section for their guidance.

I think you mean a Factory Workshop Manual.

I think Mike is referring to a build log book that records everything done when repairing or more importantly modifying an engine.

A Factory Workshop Manual is used to repair a car to factory specification or to a factory recommended repair standard

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

With regard to production line engine builds, speaking only about medium volume lines because high volume would be robot-only, the work instructions at each workstation are typically provided on a computer monitor and are relevant only to the particular steps being executed at that location. There would be no such thing as a factory assembly manual per se at the real factory.

Even low volume (1500/yr) production lines that I've seen, where the engine stays in place and the parts come to it, use an electronic step-by-step pictorial guide vs. a printed manual.

Well, thirty years ago at Landrover on the engine assembly line there was a series of sheets of paper that more or less described how to build the engine, station by station. And I've certainly worked on similar documents in the last 20 years. But they aren't a single book, as they are constantly changed, they are sheets that maybe cover 5 operations at most. The last iteration I worked on were called process instruction sheets, which together with the process control plans define the assembly operations. Typically they are controlled by Assembly Engineers or Manufacturing Engineers, and while I could play one on TV I haven't done much of it.

So they'd include which torque wrench to use (by model name), and its torque setting, bolt part number , washer part number, how many of them , what order to tighten them in, and what SPC is needed.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back