Content of elements in welding material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konrad

Mechanical
May 20, 2002
SE
Hello,
We're using UNS S43932 under SecIV. There's Note 13 applicable under Table HF-300.1 saying "Filler metal shall be Type 430 with a nominal titanium content of approximately 1.25%". AWS 5.9 ER430 does not specify Ti content, so we can order a custom crafted filler wire with special content of titanium.

The only uncertainty is how to understand Note "a" under Table 1 in AWS 5.9: "Analysis shall be made for the elements for which specific values are shown in this table. If the presence of other elements is indicated in the course of this work, the amount of those elements shall be determined to ensure that their total, excluding iron, does not exceed 0.50 percent". There are no additional requirements pertaining titanium applicable to ER430.

The question is whether we can have 1.25% of Ti in ER430 and still meet AWS 5.9 ?

Or maybe is there a way to use filler wire not meeting AWS standards (unassigned F-no) under SecIX?

Thanks
Konrad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can use a filler metal that is not tied to an AWS specification provided your WPS is qualified using this filler metal.

Metengr, thank you, this is what I feel, but could you please help me with finding a clear justification of this in SecIX? The AI needs to be convinced somehow...

The process is GTAW. Change in F-no is essential both for process and welder. QW-404.4 describes change from assigned to unassigned as requiring requalification, so it implies unassigned F-nos. But it's not stated directly. Similar wording in 404.15. Then QW-433 doesn't provide for unassigned F-nos. I can feel the intention to allow other welding materials, but it's not so clearly stated as for base metals (compare QW-423 and QW-424 to QW-431). I probably might use ER430 with high titanium per Note(1) under QW-433, as it allows use of anything conforming to Table QW-422, and there are no restrictions to unspecified elements in QW-422.

Am I missing some simplier way to do it?

Konrad

Konrad;
Section IX does not prohibit the use of filler metals with unassigned F-No's (look at QW-404.12). I agree, I don't believe you have missed anything.

Thanks. QW-404.12 applies to supplementary essential variable in GTAW, but it shows clearly the intent. That's it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back