Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continious waterflow in sump pit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matharsiddiqui

Computer
Dec 15, 2010
US
I moved to this new house two years back. Never had experience with sump pump. After a month I moved in I realize there is water always in the pit. I checked with neighbours and found they don't have such issue. I raised the concerned to builder and they have sent the plumber. It was found the pump burnt out and got replaced. After new pump got installed, it was running every 15 - 20 mins and eventually after few weeks this was also burnt out. Contact the builder again and another pump get replaced. I raised my concerned to builder the new pumo make noise and it is running very frequently. They decided to put a bigger pit and pump (the sewer one) but no one has mentioned why so much water coming. With the bigger pump it now runs every 25-30 mins and still the continious water flow is there. Builder has checked for main valve leakage.

My neighbours don't have such issue, it is town house (middle one) with 19ft width. Any suggestion what could be the cause for water?

Appreciate any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mathar,

You have already asked for your contractor's help and all he did was turn off the water for 15 minutes and tell you it was ground water. He should have had the water tested after the first sump pump replacement. Time to go over their head. What I am afraid of is the contractor doing an invasive search by trenching, potholing, digging under footings etc, looking for the leak, doing a band aid fix, burying it all back up without proper compaction or inspection. Two years down the road you have foundation settling, new floor and wall crack issues or the reappearing leak with no warrantee left. A dishonest contractor could just put a trench dam in the water line trench to your place, and the water will migrate to someone else's basement sump.

Have the water municipality find and fix the leak. The contractor can coordinate with them to trench, backfill, and fix everything back up. You shouldn't have to do or prove anything to the contractor now. The contractor has the right to do his own test, but tell him to follow proper chain of custody procedures if he plans on using these testing results in court. Your next communication to the contractor if he tries to deny it or stall, should be a copy of your warrantee sent to them along with a letter of the mandatory fix completion date, with letterhead from the lawyer you hired.

Thanks guys. Some more progress .... Regional municipilaty has sent leak detection company and nothing found my house water line. However they check curb valve for my left neighbour and suspect leak is there. No one at home so they can't check further. They have used soem device to hear some thing from outside not sure what. Not sure what is the approach I should take now so my builder can't get away.

curb valve needs to be fixed by the City, they own the system up to and including the meter. That may stop the leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back