Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Continuity as it pertains to GIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbrooke

Electrical
Nov 12, 2012
US
What type of gas partitioning do I want for a GIS substation where I can replace any bay or remove any partition without shutting down the whole substation?

Most "off the shelf" GIS designs require that the entire gear be shutdown for bus or isolater repairs.

Also, under the IEC, when I'm repairing a gas partition do I need to depressurize the neighboring partition like I do under the IEEE?

I need pointers on specking a design that must ABSOLUTELY remain in service for any reasonable repair.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The GIS manufacturer could be a good source to address your concerns in this matter

See below:
GIS_Safety_Rules_oiqrpg.jpg

Yes, I believe that above also applicable to IEC standards since both standards (IEEE and IEC )for gas-insulated substation are to move towards harmonization.

Trying to establish a specific way of partitioning the GIS might not be a good idea since every manufacturer has its own way of dealing with the service continuity requirements and they have a philosophy on how to establish their gas sections. A good way to approach the service continuity is put in the technical specification (TS) the restriction the manufacturer must take into account for their product, and they will come up with the solution. The IEC 62271-203 addresses this situation with the following:

Extract_svuoax.png

Try to give as many directions as possible in your TS, and also request for confirmation (usually a step by step sequence on the gas compartment diagram) on how the manufacturer tackled the restrictions you put in the TS.

MBrooke: Yes those are good references for GIS desing.
For service continuity, it is also recommended to choose the right GIS arrangement. Should be note that the popular configuration in the US such as ring bus and breaker 11/2 are usually more expensive and less popular outside the ANSI/IEEE markeplaces. Consider if other popular IEC configurations such astransfer bus, double bus with bypass, etc, could meet your project needs.
It is also advisable to work closer with the approved GIS manufacturers and ask them for options on continuity and the impact on cost and reliability.

Glad to know those are good references. The depressurized compartment also needs to be denergized, so I guess I may need an extra compartment between isolators and the bay as well for complete bay work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back