Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuous cast steel making process is prohibited- API 20E

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltSlinger

Industrial
Jun 24, 2015
US
API 20E BSL-3 states you can not use continuous cast steel. Looking at my historical 4140 MTRs all of it was made by means of continuous cast. I do not know my other options, or where to get material casted by other means. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tata Steel is one source for ingot cast steel.

Not sure why API 20E limits continuous casting, unless it is for huge sizes where continuous casting does not allow for sufficient reduction during rolling.

The excerpt below states the requirements for BSL-3

5.4.3 BSL-3
5.4.3.1 The requirements specified for BSL-2 are required for BSL-3 except as specified below.
5.4.3.2 The reduction ratio based on starting material diameter shall be 10:1 minimum.
5.4.3.3 Allowable sulfur content shall be .015% maximum and the allowable phosphorus content shall be
.015% maximum.
5.4.3.4 The continuous cast steel making process is prohibited.
5.4.3.5 In addition to the heat analysis performed by the mill, the bolting manufacturer shall perform a
product analysis in accordance with ASTM A29.

I would agree with what CoryPad that the work reduction ratio of 10:1 could be a problem with CCS rounds.

Just to make I am following y'all:
the ratio 10:1 could be the reason Continuous Cast is prohibited?

CoryPad,

Thank you!. I have spoken to Tata and it seems they will be able to help me. They have recommended a distributor here in Houston

Metengr,

Thank you, couple other requirements I have noticed:
5.6.2 Manufacturer must must re-do all mechanical testing.
5.7.1 Seems to be pretty detailed instructions for Micro, Macro, Gain, and Banding. I am not that familiar with these tests in general. Are they what you would usually see on a Mill Test Report?
5.8.2.3.2 100% hardness
5.9.3.1 100% MagPart/LiqPen
5.9.3.2 100% Volumetric
5.10.4 100% Dim

5.7.1 Seems to be pretty detailed instructions for Micro, Macro, Gain, and Banding. I am not that familiar with these tests in general. Are they what you would usually see on a Mill Test Report?

Not necessarily, see below

5.7.1 General
Any of the following tests not performed by the raw material supplier shall be performed by the bolting
manufacturer. Results shall be documented on the test report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back