Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NickParker

Electrical
Sep 1, 2017
NL
Online monitoring refers to tests conducted while the motor or generator is in operation.
Offline monitoring is performed when the machine is not operating.
I came across a spec "Continuous monitoring of stator field winding insulation during the generator is offline shall be provided".

You just conduct offline tests. Why is continuous monitoring of stator field winding insulation required when the generator is not in operation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Given a choice between off-line insulation monitoring and anti-condensation heaters (24/7) I would go with the heaters.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Why not both?

I'm 'burnt' over space heaters to maintain winding insulation integrity due to my service area being adjacent to the Gulf Of Mexico. High humidities are a constant, and the 'normal' space heaters often are not sufficient to keep windings dry. Talking our engineers into specifying extra heat hasn't been successful.

Having equipment out of service for extended periods, 'trusting' the space heaters to keep things dry, is often prescription for disaster, and continuous offline monitoring might give warning that things are approaching a dangerous level. It's far better to remediate a slightly damp winding than to dry out one that's had a chance to get really bad.

old field guy

We had heater failure alarms on our anti condensation heaters.
These were on diesel generators about 400 feet from the gulf of Mexico.
We used 240Volt rated heaters fed 120 Volts and they were very dependable.
When an alarm did go off, I got a phone call and I was on the next flight out to the island.
Actually, the heater was good, but corrosion had done in a connection at a terminal strip.
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Does any one have experience with the Bender module for medium voltage?
Bender_module_cap2y9.jpg

The word should be "while" or "whilst," not "during."

I'm with Bill, provided this is an air-cooled machine; better to prevent condensation on insulation while shut down than monitor insulation integrity 24/7. Besides, although there may be ways of doing this, I cannot once in my forty-plus-year career recall ever seeing a system in place for it, let alone in use.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Back