Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continuous slab rebar question in field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislaope

Structural
Sep 15, 2010
US
Hello guys, I have a simple question for field engineers:

How does concrete people accomplish slab saw cutting in field (such as 10'x10' slab saw cutting specified on drawing)? Do they leave rebar in slab continuous, or the rebar will actually become discontinuous?

We hope the rebar continuous, but just would like to make sure if it is really the case in field.

Many Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For SOGS most designers specify 1/2 or all of the bars be cut. This would probably be done before pouring. Your concrete saw may or may not clear the bar depending on clear cover and cut depth specified (its usually close - bar in top 1/3 and cut 1/4 depth).

csd72 is probably alluding to the fact that elevated slabs should not be saw cut.

I usually don't cut bars. There is sufficient cover to put the TUL below the blade. If I want a joint, I discontinue rfg and use proper dowels and a proper joint...

With small ratios of reinforcing, if sawcutting is done on time, there is no need to discontinue half the bars.

Dik

If the reinforcement is there to restrain the slab for temp and shrinkage, and the joints are there to allow T&S, it's up to you. Depending on subgrade preparations and magnitude of live loads, you may wish to have something to maintain continuity of the slab across joints. Allowing mesh or deformed bars to cross the joint will help maintain aggregate interlock. Smooth, de-bonded dowels, or similar, will also reducing faulting at joints, with varying efficiency, depending on static and moving loads, and subgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back