Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contract Drawings? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelPE

Structural
Mar 9, 2006
US
This may seem like a silly question…. But is there any standard way to number the contract drawings for any given project?

S100 general notes
S200 plans
S300 elevations
S400 building sections
S500 foundation details
S600 details

So for an example project you would have:

S100 general notes
S101 typical details
S200 foundation plan
S201 first floor plan
S202 second floor plan
S203 roof plan
S300 bracing elevations
S400 building sections
S500 foundation details
S501 foundation details cont.
S600 structural details
S601 structural details cont.

I am just wondering what other people do and if there is an actual standard?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with your client to see what CAD standard they have. Most of our larger clients have their own standards, layers, colours, text, etc. and they're all different... even naming of drawings can include the discipline... civil, building, structual, concrete, structural steel, etc.

Dik

Over the years, I have seen at least 100 "standard" ways of doing it. I like to number the drawings logically in order in which they will be used. Using this method, the foundation plans would be followed by the foundation sections and details, then on up the building in the same fashion.

Hokie... that's my preferred manner with the drawing notes forming the first few sheets...

Most of our clients, however, have their own procedure... including colours, line types, layers, numbering, etc. often with a pre-script that designates the building / (area of the site).

Some clients want anchor rods shown in the concrete drawings, some want them shown in the structural steel part, only...

Dik

Yes, that's what I meant by lots of ways of doing it. Some of the systems I have been forced to use made no sense whatever, and the contractor's people trying to build from the drawings agreed. One thing which makes things easier is to list all the drawings on the first page of the set...but then that sheet has to be revised each time a drawing is added.

That's interesting hokie. Our drawings typically have all of the plans first. Then foundation and concrete typical details, then foundation and concrete details. Then Masonry details. Then steel typicals. Then steel details. If we ever have elevations they come after the plans, but before any of the details. Our General Notes could end up on the first page or after the plans/elevations, but before the foundation/concrete details.

That's always made sense to me, because I've never seen a different set, but I can see the logic in your approach.

Small to mid size AEC firm...

We do similar to Lion06, Notes SN1, SN2.. sheets,then Plan Sheets S1, S2, S3( in order of foundation, floor plans, roof framing... Then Section SS1, SS2,...Then Details SD1, SD2,...again in order of foundation, masonry, concrete,....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back