Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

control of measurement devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Histogram

Industrial
Apr 28, 2008
US
Pertaining to control of measurement devices. I just started work for a new company which is ISO 9001 certified and they are trying to get away without calibrating measuring instruments by labeling everything but a few micrometers and calipers "For Reference Only". I can’t find a clear statement in the 9001 standard. I thought all measuring devices that determined an object meets customer requirements must be calibrated and traceable to NIST.
Can anyone point me in the right direction if this statement exist, where can I find it in writing?
Thanks,
Histogram

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about ISO 9001 but TS 16949 section 7.6 states when necessary to ensure valid results that equipment shall be calibrated "against measurement standards traceable to international or national standards," and if no standard exists the "basis used for calibration...shall be recorded."

I did not specifically see NIST but what does your customer say?

We did that too.. but its only for tools that aren't actually used to produce product... more like the tape measure for the maintenance guys,etc.. or anything that isn't quality critical.

To decrease calibration costs you can't simply mark everything as for reference only.. But you can reduce the number of tools used or decrease the frequency of calibration or move calibration to be done internal with master blocks,etc..

ISO 9001 para. 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment
......Where necessary to ensure valid results, measuring equipment shall
a) be calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards; where no such standards exist, the basis used for calibration or verification shall be recorded (see 4.2.4);
c) have identification in order to determine its calibration status .....
Records of the results of calibration and verification shall be maintained (see 4.2.4).

Thanks for the informative posts. Perhaps I was vague in my question. Where does it state what instrument/gauge is to be calibrated. What is the criterion for calibration? A nice simple answer would be helpful.

Thanks Again!

TS 16949 7.5.1.1 states that control plans shall be developed. The control plan lists the tools required to measure the parts' conformance to the print. And then 7.6 states that any tools required are to be calibrated.

If it on your control plan it needs to be calibrated is my simple answer!

Great answer dbooker630, this helps me move my company in the correct direction and get “for reference only” removed from gauges that actually determine a parts conformance to print. I am still annoyed why the ISO 9001 surveillance auditor allowed such a blatant misinterpretation to exist for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back