Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control of parts in layers - Top level and below

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckpang

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2001
GB
I need to control the display of parts/sub-assm (eg: blank)at the top level, BUT without blanking off the same parts/sub-assm at there own level?

I have used layers to do this, but blanking a part within a sub-assm at the top level will alway blank the part at the sub-assm level.

Is there an alternative method?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create a separate set of layers for your assemblies and sub assemblies. Eg, your datum planes in your part models might be under a layer name "datum_planes." In your assemblies, call the layer for your datum planes "assy_datum_planes." From your top level assembly you can now control the layers of individual parts and assemblies. Also, at the top of the layers frame in Pro/E, there is a pull down menu which allows you to control the layers in the top level assy, sub assemblies or individual componemnts. You then just pick with the mouse or select by menu which components you wish to edit the layers on

Thanks for the reply, but my problem is that I want to blank off an item in the top level assm which belongs to a sub-assm level build.

Say I have a sub-assm which has a transport bolt in it. The bolt needs to be shown in the sub-assm but not in the top level assm. Hence I need to be able to switch off the bolt in the top level and leave it on in the sub-assm!

Please, don't mention family tables.

create a simplified rep "####",and use "Master Rep" as "default rule" in main assembly,in EDIT REP menu pick "Exclude" & then pick the desired component/s and Done.
You can create this type reps in all levels of assemblies.

Nikhil Gothankar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back