Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control Panel x Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomiranda

Electrical
Apr 19, 2007
BR
I have one big skid (in one oil rig) with a lot of instruments (level and pressure transmitters, control valves, on-off valves, etc). I was planning to install one control panel in this skid and rout all instrument cables to this panel, and use optical fiber to connect this remote panel with the PLC located in the Master Control Room. Now I received the information that my panel cannot be installed in this skid/module. It shall be installed in another module, in a electr./instrument. panel room located around 75 meters far from my skid. My doubt is, what is the maximum distance that my instrument cable (I have analog and digital signals) can cover without problems? My concerned is the distance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your mA signals should be fine. The digital signals should be ok if they're inputs. If they are outputs to (e.g.) solenoid valves then volt-drop may be a problem, but that depends on the current drawn by the solenoid.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back